Monday, June 16, 2008

ToC + ASO = $$$?


First, the story of the Tour of California photo above. I was stuck. Do I lean WAY THE HELL OVER Fred's Rock teammate and squeeze my mug up to his to be in the pic OR do I stay in the hetero-neutral position outside of the shot? I got caught inbetween. So what you get is me in the "stalker" position while my friend Lala snuggles up to Fast Freddie. Anywhoo, here's the news...

It was announced that Tour de France organizers, ASO, have partnered with AEG, the organizers of the Tour of California, to promote each others' races. ASO is the 800lb. gorilla of the cycling world and the ToC will definitely benefit by have the ASO stamp connected to it. I don't think we'll see much difference her in the Bay Area, but on the international side, I think this move is a HUGE jump in the game for AEG.

The other cool piece of news that came out was the report of Amgen inking a new 3 year deal (with a 2 year option) to sponsor the ToC. For the past 3 years, the ToC has been operating in the red. That had me a bit worried for the future of the race. But now, AEG have some breathing room and hopefully will be able to build on the popularity of the event and make it a money maker.

Moral of pic and the story? Don't ride the fence. Either go ALL IN or get the hell out. Kudos for AEG and Amgen for sackin' up and taking a chance with great race. Now It's time for me to start planning for the next ToC Beaver Shot.

1 comment:

broxster said...

you should have said, "hi, i'm boner" and planted a big smacker on his cheek.