Monday, June 9, 2008

Book Review: "We Might As Well Win" by Johan Bruyneel


I picked up Johan Bruyneels' book, "We Might As Well Win", last week and when I saw it, I expected to be through by the end of the day. At just over 200 pages, it's not a heavy read. Even the size of the book was a little underwhelming. My first thought was "hmmm, a booklet." But I couldn't have misjudged the book more.

Bruyneel managed to cram a lot of feeling into those 200 pages. I found myself having to stop every so often because the stories Bruyneel was sharing or the images he was describing triggered something in me. It brought to life vivid replays of my own experiences in bike races, with family, in life. My daughter looked at my book mark over the weekend and said, "you've only read THAT far?" For each page of the book, it seemed that another 20 were added from my own personal "manuscript" that added to the depth of "We Might As Well Win".

Having met Johan Bruyneel a couple of times and seen him on t.v., I had an impression of him that was made much more clear after reading his book. Before the book, I viewed him as a tactical genious, especially when it came to the Grand Tours. After reading his book, I see now that his mastery, his genious is forged simply from his dedication to being a learner, a student. He studies everything about racing and applies that knowledged to forging victory.

Johan Bruyneel is the prime example of the smart rider beating the stronger rider. He raced that way and he directs that way as well. It is no wonder that he has become the greatest Champion maker in the world.

Definitely read this book!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

pdude! this post was sarcastic right? That was the lamest book I've read in years (since I've learned to read). The cover shot should have been a give away. Is this bike racing or Tony Robbins? I would have liked to have seen the chapter on doping protocols.