Friday, September 19, 2008

Tales from the Crip


Crashing sucks. Crashing hard sucks more. I did one of these in my prep of the SF GP. Enjoy.



2 Broken clavicles.
Cracked rib.
2 hematomas on my hip.
Skin removal on my knee.

During a motorpacing session, I had a pedal strike that caused me to highside. Everything went all "Matrixy" once the pedal hit. I felt it, but no big deal, that stuff happens, but then the ass of the bike came around a little further than I was expecting. In that nano-second I had my first, "Hmm, that's not good" thought. As soon as my rear wheel touched the ground and the bike stood up, heading left, I knew it...

"Oh Sh!t".

Right knee hit the top tube, weight shifed to the left and kapow. Felt my head hit (THANKS YOU GIRO FOR MAKING SOME BADASS MELON PROTECTORS), everything went all white for a split second and then I looked back. I'd taken a flyer off the front of the motor and wasn't sure how much distance I had going into the turn. The last thing I wanted was to get run over.

When I tried to get out of the road, I had my second "Oh Sh*t" moment. I couldn't move my arms. Crap.

There I was, in a heap, in the middle of the turn with my teammate coming up fast behind me in his car. Luckily I had some distance and he saw me and stopped.

It took me a little while to get my breath and to try to get up. My teammates helped me to my feet and then I walked the half lap back to the car. Thought about just going home, but something wasn't right with my shoulders. I'd never broken my clavicle before, so I didn't have anything to measure it against. They just felt wrong. I couldn't move either of them, though the right was a little more mobile than the left.

A few hours in the ER for xrays and wound care and then I was back to the house for some R&R.

So, it's back on the trainer soon and back to the blogoshere. BTW- I've got a bone to pick with Chris Carmichael and his Greg LeMond baggin'.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Brian,
that`s a bummer, heal up fast and well. I can relatea bit as I broke only one clavicle this March. I healed up well, but have other things in life intrude.
Eugene

The Sage said...

what did Lance's servant say about the guy with more talent on one finger than Lance ever had?

broxster said...

hey - i know where that is in downtown minneapolis. now you guys know exactly where i end up when i am on the road for work.

Anonymous said...

Hey Thank goodness bones are repairable.. : ).. but your not replaceable. When you heal ride fast, but ride safe!
Miss you
S.