Thursday, April 3, 2008

Alexi



I met Alexi nearly 11 years ago. We got along really well with shared interests in family, faith and sport. I had just "retired" from being a soingeur on the domestic pro circuit and was beginning work on starting my own pro women's team. Alexi, Sara Ballantyne and a few other extremely supportive people were helping me "conceptualize" the team.

Not everyone likes Alexi. One thing I've always admired about him is how straight forward he is. Alexi will tell you what he's thinking. And, well, that makes some people... uncomfortable.

In the April 1 issue of Velonews and on today's Velonews.com page, Alexi talked about his use of performance enchancing drugs and called for other riders from his era to come forward and admit to their usage of PES.

I'm sure his former colleauges are saying "DAMN AL, SHUT THE F@#$ UP!!!!", but he won't.

Good for Al.

Here's a guy who has stood on the top step of the sports highest Olympic achievement, risking his place in history in an effort to encourage others to come forward so that cycling come honestly come clean. Cajones Majoris!!!

You go AG, I got your back!!

3 comments:

jAndy donka-donk said...

Comming out was a step in the right direction....

but

"Should I have ever been headed for classic or Tour podiums surely I would have entered the full-blown ’roid ranks. Dangle Liège or Paris glory in my face and there is no question both feet would have crossed that line. No one wants to hear that but it is very true. Whether it be the blood of bulls or goats, I would have drunk from that cup in a heartbeat for any measure of that glory."

He was more part of the problem than anything. He was one of the weak, happier with the perception of the podium by other than by his own personal internal happiness.

It is this type of athlete that allows the foot to be set down in the first place to eventually grow into the monster it has become.

Had he not had that weakness he wouldn't have had to do the right thing now.

Bad guys get all the girls, Lazy people have most of the money and cheaters always win....


that life I guess

TreBone said...

jAndy-

I agree with you that athletes who are willing to cheat are a part of the problem. For many, the desire for something- power, glory, possesions is greater than their will to work for it or to accept the fact that it is not for them.

It would have been better never for Alexi to never have cheated.

But for those that have, it is a good thing to come forward so that we can look clearly at the history of the sport without the distortion of enhanced performances.

That is why I applaud riders like Alexi, Zabel, Aldag and Millar for coming forward.

b

Chris said...

I think cheating sucks, no doubt. But if everyone were given "truth serum", I think we would find out that most were cheating back then just like today. So, if everyone is cheating, how can you not cheat and keep your job? It is an ethical question really.