Tuesday, September 18, 2007

This thing called life.

I just read Christian Vande Velde's diary on Velonews.com. http://velonews.com/diaries/rider/articles/13347.0.html

I have a lot of respect for the "hard men" of cycling. I don't just mean the Euro pro's, but all the badasses I know that have faced serious challenges on and off the bike and still picked themselves up and pushed on. Here's a list of just some of the people I know that qualify as Grade A badass "hard men";

Jason Sage- Kicked the shit out of an SUV with his face AND WON!

Richard Brockie- Single handedly began the Hellyer Park Velodrome renovations by engraving his signiture into the banking of the track with his clavicle.

Taitt Sato- Fights car with her Tibia, recovers and resumes ass kicking just a couple of months later.

Dan Turner- Is back in a big way just a few months after attempting to dig a hole to China from Newark with his shoulder.

Larry Nolan- Broken knee? check. Dislocated shoulder? check. Road rash? check x10? Stop racing? never.

The list of people that pick themselves up after serious injury in order to persue something they either love or seriously "like" could go on and on.

I admire these people. Back in the day, I took my ability in the sport for granted. I realized how much I loved cycling when I was no longer physically able to do it. I gave myself another chance and won't let this one go to waste.

As CSC's braclets say, it's time to "Harden The F**K Up"

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

1 comment:

Lorri Lee Lown -- velogirl said...

so, what's your story? why were you no longer able to ride? is that photo you?